Some fun sample laser output

Finally got a chance to etch some wood today. For everyone’s reference, here are three (yes, three) separate prints.

Note that above the “1/4” speed image is the Default 1200mm/min speed.

So, as was discussed in detail on the other thread, 1200mm/min is useless on wood.

Later this evening, I decided to mess around, and tried a few more substances.

Sugar, it turns out, is very difficult to caramelize with this laser. :slight_smile: It’s very hard to get a flat build surface and then the right focus.

A flat chocolate bar, however, works. I ran it at 600mm/min (0.1mm laser), which melted the chocolate in the desired pattern and changed the color / texture slightly. It’s a subtle effect, but could look very classy on a good chocolate bar. (This was a plain old Hershey’s.)

I think what I might try next is powdered sugar dusted on the chocolate, and then lazed in a pattern. I used plain old granulated sugar in the first test, and I think even the crystal size is far too large to get enough focus. It was really difficult even setting the z zero point. With powdered sugar, I think the crystal height would be small enough that you could back the z zero up 0.1 mm or so and be in focus.

Two laser questions:

1. What’s the use of the “beam size” setting? Does it do anything to the resultant gcode? My assumption is that it tells how much X/Y offset to use between passes, but that’s it. Also, how does this setting relate to the actual size of the laser dot? It seems the final size of the dot won’t be set until you zero it.
  2. Has anyone successfully upgraded to a larger laser yet? I know there was a lot of talk of putting in the 1.6W or another one - has anyone actually pulled off that surgery successfully?

Mooz-2 Laser will not do anything (yes it does light up)

what kind of wood was used, birch, spruce, beech.
it was plywood or solid wood.
unbelievable that it was a 3 go-through for printing, a shock !!!
ex.
default speed 1200 mm/min.

It was craft plywood, I think 1/8" thick

I am going to mount one of these models.
I’m waiting for drivers to come to them.
is the controller for our laser with the laser in its housing?

You have a control board as part of the Dobot laser head that takes the ethernet port, but this only tells the machine that the laser head is attached, and convert on/off control signals + 12v power…

Within the laser assembly (inside the heatsink) which is manufactured by a 3rd party, there is a proper laser driving board, but this will obviously only be suitible for a 500mw laser. You’ll have to solder the wire from the Mooz laser control board to the proper laser driver that you purchased.

There was another post regarding laser where sunger provided more details on this

I dismantled the original 0.6W laser and I installed the 1.6W laser in this place with the power supply dedicated to this laser.
The current has been set to 1.3A, according to the instructions from this link
http://odicforce.com/Background-and-Projects/Page-/-Categorytopic
Subject: Using Dummy Loads to Set the Laser Driver Current.
Now Mooz 2 allows you to work at a speed of 1200 mm/min.

• tests are ongoing.
  • However, even with this power, gradient tests do not do very well.

Nicely done.

I’ve linked this to a post in Facebook, but I’m sure people would appreciate you posting your laser mod in there as many are interested in doing the same.