Firmware update without SD-card/USB

I have taken over a secondhand and first series of MOOZ-1 with several (software & hardware) problems.
This problems concerns:

1. X-axis (wrong direction movement, negative position);
  2. No SD-card or USB update possible.
  3. No update slot at display;

After some e-mail communication with Dobot.cc and internet search I decided to solve things myself.
Hereby the actions.

Firstly managed to update the software by:

• Forcing BOOT pin 0 of STM32 processor to VDD (positive 3.3V), see T-10 marking at motherboard
  • Connect the motherboard via USB CH-340 port (USB-B) to computer
  • STM32CubeProg software to download .bin from 0x8040000, connection via UART connection.

Secondly removed the (front) bezel from the display to reach the SD-slot, update is done under windows SD formatting (under MAC it doesn’t work).

See some pictures below

IMG_0436

It is great that you were able to get the firmware updated. Did that cure the wrong X-axis movement?

Yes, it solve the problem. It was a known Dobot problem and also confirmed by them. Unfortunately they give me no response how to solve the needed update issue. To make it work without this software update, i had to change the gcode file by adding a minus for the x-axis position. This makes me crazy…everytime.

The bootloader part of the application (0x8000000-0x803FFFF) contains the update stuff and is crappy software, but now i can bypass it;-)).

Do you have the same issues?

I have 2 MOOZ-2 systems. Both are working great (at least for 3D printing), I haven’t tried the Laser or CNC heads yet. Fortunately both of mine behave as normal and can be updated through the regular process. One I purchased through the Kickstarter campaign, the other from another customer who no longer wanted his.

Your information/issues are useful for future reference, just in case of problems.

Happy 3D printing…

rmb_guru

Thx…for your reply.
Do you know if a Mooz 1 has the same motherboard as the Mooz 2?
Want to know if an upgrade with an extra z-axis is feasible.
I have seen pictures of a splitter…but does it mean that both rails are connected to the same steppenmotor driver?

I would suspect that the motherboard is the same for both the Mooz 1 and 2.
The RJ-45 cable splitter is used on the Z axis stepper-motors so that both are driven with the same drive signal. This youtube link is an assembly video for the Mooz 2 and will show you the main components and how they go together. The video should help answer your questions about how you could convert a Mooz 1 to a 2.

great guide,

How can I reach you to get some more details?