Arduino Dobot Magician GetPose

Hi,

I have the Dobot connected to an Arduino and I am trying to bet back the position from the Dobot in order to know when a mova has finished. " GetPose" seems to be the command to use for this, but I cannot seem to get it to work witout syntax errors. Can anyone share working Arduino/C++ code for using GetPose?

Would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dear customer support,

I am revisiting this project and still I am not able to get the GetPose function to work.

Could you post a simple example in Arduino code containing a move to certain coodinates and then a verification if the coordinates have been reached using the Get Pose command?

Thanks!

I might be able to help you out. I had to program one of these for work and used the getpose command to make sure it got where it was supposed to. Can you send it other commands successfully? I had to make changes to the library to get it to compile.

A silent video of my prototype setup running. Mine seems a bit more complex than most of the projects I’ve seen on here. So, do have some experience with it.

Really impressive! Your system seems to have a lot of functionality built into it. The joystick is a nice feature as well.
I am indeed able to send other commands to the dobot. I have built a pick and place demo with a pixy2 camera, for which I also have a video posted on youtube :grinning:
See link below:

My Arduino code is linked under the video in the description on youtube.
Since I am not a programmer by profession I have a lot of issues with trying to get working code from the Dobot documentation on their website. The amount of Arduino programs for Dobot on Github is also quite limited, so I can’t copy-paste my way to some of the end goals.
The things that I can’t get working are:

• Getpose function (move arm to position and then check if it has reached the coordinates)
  • Speed: my program is fixed to the same speed and no matter what I try I can’t change speeds and acceleration from the Arduino.

If you can share some code for the above mentioned topics that would be really helpful!

Thanks,

Robin

Hi Robin,

That’s a very impressive demo. I’m like you, and programming is not my profession. Looking at your code, it looks as though you took their demo code and worked from it. I started that way as well, but that’s where the problem is. Their demo code does not cover all the commands. They have a library you can install in the libraries folder, but it has issues as well. I had to make some changes to get it working. It does have a much more complete coverage of the commands though.

Two possible ways to go forward. Add the commands to their demo files, or switch to using the library. Probably easiest to add the commands because switching to the library may mean having to rewrite some of your sketch. I’ll try to cover both ways, so you can choose. Also, for future projects having the library would give you better control.

I’m trying to work out just what changes need to be made. Not quite there yet, hopefully by tomorrow I can finish. I just wanted to let you know that I could see the problem and what needs to change.

For the speed, try adding this at the beginning of your where you define all your variables. I used the name speed for the variable but you can change it to whatever you like. All the rest has to stay the same.

PTPCommonParams speed;

That’s defined in the command.h file and is the structure you need to pass when setting speed. You should then be able to set the speed by using something like this. I’d keep the values low until you’ve played with it a little bit.

speed.velocityRatio = 20;
speed.accelerationRatio = 20;
SetPTPCommonParams(speed, true, &gQueuedCmdIndex);
ProtocolProcess();

Hopefully have some more answers for you tomorrow.

Cheers,
Kevin

The speed and acceleration changes are now working and actually affecting the speed of the arm! Thanks for the time you put in to look into the code and come up with a solution.
I noticed that I also placed your code in the wrong place initially. Where I currently had the code for updating the velocity and acceleration, the changes had no effect at all (so I thought I was back to square one), however, pasting your code into “void moveArm” which I use for move commands did the trick. Afterwards I moved the code again to new functions which I now use to change the speed while running the program on the Arduino.
Wow, it seems like a small victory, but I am really happy with the newly added feature to the program. Thanks again.
If you indeed have some time to find/create some sample code for the GetPose function as well that would be great.

Robin

Hi again Robin,

Great to hear that you’ve got the speed control working. This part is a lot more complex, but hopefully explained it well enough. Fingers crossed it works.

Their demo does not include the definition for a lot of things. Worst part, it has no example of receiving any information from the robot. So this is mostly guesswork. I don’t have access to the robot at work at the moment, as it’s at the machine shop getting some final touches. We’re using it to prototype a tool we want, and once it’s finished I probably won’t be doing much with it. It should be back within a week or two, so if this doesn’t work then I will an opportunity to test some of this. I’d make sure to have a backup of your current working files before trying this.

First we need to add this struct into the command.h file, anywhere along with the other typedef structs will work.

typedef struct tagPose {
    float x;
    float y;
    float z;
    float r;
    float jointAngle[ROBOT_AXIS];
} Pose __attribute__ ((aligned(4)));

We also need to add a declaration for the GetPose command into command.h. This will be after #pragma pack(pop), alongside the other command declarations.

/*********************************************************************************************************
** Pose
*********************************************************************************************************/
extern int GetPose(Pose *pose);

Finally, we need to add the actual command into command.cpp.

/*********************************************************************************************************
** Function name:       GetPose
** Descriptions:        Get Robot Pose
** Input parameters:    Pose structure
** Output parameters:   none
** Returned value:      true
*********************************************************************************************************/
int GetPose(Pose *pose)
{
    Message tempMessage;
    memset(&tempMessage, 0, sizeof(Message));
    tempMessage.id = ProtocolGetPose;
    tempMessage.rw = false;
    tempMessage.isQueued = false;
    tempMessage.paramsLen = 0;
    memcpy(tempMessage.params, (uint8_t *)ptpCommonParams, tempMessage.paramsLen);
    MessageWrite(&gSerialProtocolHandler, &tempMessage);
    memcpy(pose, (void *)gParamsPointer, sizeof(Pose));
    return true;
}

With some luck, that will have added the command and with luck it works. I’m not 100% certain, as their demo files are written differently than the actual library files. Now, to access it you’ll need to add a structure to hold the information. I’m using the variable ‘robotPose’. At the beginning where you declare your variables add this.

Pose robotPose;

Now, in your code where you want to check the pose you add this.

GetPose(&robotPose);
ProtocolProcess();
x = robotPose.x;				// x, y, z and r variables will have to be defined somewhere in your program
y = robotPose.y;				// Again these can be whatever name you choose. The x, y,  z and r after robotPose
z = robotPose.z;				// have to be that as it's what they're defined as in the struct we're using.
r = robotPose.r;				// axis0 - axis3 are also whatever variable you choose them to be. I don't bother
axis0 = robotPose.jointAngle[0];			// getting the jointAngles as I'm mostly interested in the robot being at the coordinates
axis1 = robotPose.jointAngle[1];			// I specified. You only need to get the ones you need.
axis2 = robotPose.jointAngle[2];
axis3 = robotPose.jointAngle[3];

If you’re checking the coordinates, be sure to give it tolerance for some small amount of error. This is the exact subroutine from my program. I’ve created a struct called coordinates that is just 4 floats (x, y, z, and r). The offset allows me to move only in ‘z’ and still be able to check my position. So, it calls this routine with a variable ‘station’ (of type coordinates) which is the same variable I sent to my move command and an offset. It then checks the position against where I told it to go.

** Function name:       waitForRobot
** Descriptions:        Checks pose status of robot and waits for it to get to position called for
** Input parameters:    Position to wait for and offset
** Output parameters:   none
** Returned value:      none
void waitForRobot(coordinates station, float offset){
  float error[4];
  error[4] = 100;
  Pose pose;
  while(error[4]>=.8){
    GetPose(&pose);
    error[0] = station.x - pose.x;
    error[1] = station.y - pose.y;
    error[2] = station.z - (pose.z - offset);
    error[3] = station.r - pose.r;
    error[4] = abs(error[0]) + abs(error[1]) + abs(error[2]) + abs(error[3]);
  }
  delay(1000);
}

I wish I could guarantee this will work, but having to do all this from just reading code with no tests at the moment. Whether it works or not, I’ll get a copy of my modified version of their library uploaded this weekend and try and point out some of the differences in the way it works. You can see from my subroutine that I don’t have to call ProtocolProcess after I call GetPose. One of the differences, along with a lot more commands that have been written and will work. Also, it cleans up your program space by having your program be the only thing in the sketch and the library routines for the robot in the library folder as they should be.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the code and detailed explanations. It will take some time for me to digest all the information and incorporate it into my own program, but I will do my best in the next couple of evenings to make this work for my project. With your explanations I understand the main approach. The “waitFor Robot” function would be exactly what I need to make the movements a bit more professional looking.

With the start of the implementation using the code for command.h and command.cpp there are some compiler errors, but as you mentioned that is the risk of not being able to test code.
->‘ROBOT_AXIS’ was not declared in this scope

memcpy(tempMessage.params, (uint8_t *)ptpCommonParams, tempMessage.paramsLen);
-> ‘ptpCommonParams’ was not declared in this scope

I should be able to figure this out and realize I have some homework to do on C++ and the use of typedef structs, memcpy and functions in .cpp files. This has made me interested in diving a bit deeper into programming, beyond the basics. I will let you know when I have been able to get it working.

If you are indeed able to upload a modified copy of the Dobot library I will take a look at that as well.

Thanks again, great stuff!

Robin

Hey Robin,

Sorry for the delay, had other things to work on this weekend. Also I apologize for not giving it a test compile, didn’t think about it.

Tried it, and kept running into a bunch of errors. Chasing those, and found more and more things that have to be changed in order to make the demo files function properly. A lot of the reason I had to switch to the library and make it work.

So, here is a link to the modified library. Just copy the Magician folder into your library folder. Now, you can make a new copy of your sketch, with only your sketch file in it. Get rid of all the other files as they’ll conflict with the library. Something I also noticed, is that you’ve got their #include files after a lot of the stuff you added. #include files should all be at the beginning.

This part is what I’m referring to. Should be at the top. Also, you’ll notice I added an include for Magician and removed the one for “command.h”.

#include "stdio.h"
#include <Magician.h>
#include <Protocol.h>
#include "FlexiTimer2.h"

A few quick tips on how to use the library. I use Notepad++ to load the files from the library so I can see all the commands and structures easily. Most of the structures are defined in the type.h file. The commands are in the command.h file. The implementation for the commands is in command.cpp.

So, example if you find the GetPose command in command.h it reads like below. The extern is to allow it to be referenced before the definition, so that’s just something for the compiler to worry about. ‘int’ is what type of value it returns.

extern int GetPose(Pose *pose);

And we need to give it the address of a variable of type Pose (whose definition is in the type.h file). Which looks like below. It’s basically creating a special variable that holds a bunch of float values. It also predefines one called tagPose (which is a global accessible that it uses).

typedef struct tagPose {
    float x;
    float y;
    float z;
    float rHead;
} Pose __attribute__ ((aligned(4)));

We can create our own copy to use in our program with a line like below.

Pose robotPose;

Then we access it like I’d stated in the previous reply. That’s pretty much it.

I’ve also uploaded a copy of my program, which probably won’t work on your system since it lacks all my libraries, but you can look at it to see how I use some of the commands. The code itself is sloppy, disorganized and utilizes some very bad practices but it works. Since mine is just demo prototype that’s all I needed to worry about.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the code and additional information! This should provide me enough information to integrate it into my project. This will take me some time though since I can only work on this on certain evenings and I am not the fastest programmer. I will let you know when I have some working code.

Robin

Hi Robin,

No problem at all. See what you can do with it, and I’ll do my best to help if I can.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the late reply. It has been a few busy weeks and I have been looking into this issue from time to time, trying to make it work. First, I did as you suggested and replaced the standard libraries by the ones you provided on github. Unfortunately this did not work with my program. Since I did not understand the code you added to your libraries and my own program was hard to debug because it was getting quite large, I decided to start with a clean slate. I made a new sketch based on the demo code with a simple command to move the arm back and forth. I placed the code you suggested in earlier messages into command.cpp and command.h and also placed the “waitForRobot” function in the main program. Everything runs without error messages, but the coordinates I get back from the dobot are either zero (which is for some axes correct) or some weird number which is increasing with each check, even when the arm has stopped moving. I have the feeling the code in the command.cpp file is reading back from the wrong memory address or something is wrong with the memcpy function. Meanwhile I have gotten more familiar with structs, memcpy and other methods used in your code. The one thing I am not certain of what it means is “(void *)gParamsPointer” .
Since you also mentioned it was difficult to get the code to work without serious modifications to the libraries I think it might be better let this rest for now and focus on other things in my projects. This is taking up a lot of my spare time, without getting closer to a solution. Also I feel bad taking up your time without having the necessary skills to follow up on the advice. Thanks again for your help. I might revisit this issue later when I have more experience in C++ programming.
Robin

Hello,
I’m Philio, I chose Dobot to pick and place controlling using Arduino as my final project. I had a problem when executing the Home Position command. When executing the home position command, exactly after Dobot make a “beep” sound, sometimes Dobot move a bit at X axis or at Joint 1. Is there anything wrong with my program? Here is my code :

String dataIn;

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(115200);
Dobot_Init();
Dobot_SetHOMEParams(265,0,120,0);
}

void loop() {
if (Serial.available())
{
dataIn = “”;
dataIn = Serial.readStringUntil(’\n’);