When are you making MOOZ tutorials?

Hi there,

Just received and build up my MOOZ-2. Love to work with it, but I can’t get it to work like it should (tried to laser engrave something).
I don’t have any experience with 3D printers, so some tutorials would be nice :slight_smile:
By users or Dobot itself :wink:

grt Boris

Hi Boris -

I’m a fellow Dobot user - I’ve had some luck laser engraving. Can you tell us more?

The first thing I would look at is, when you save your gcode file, what’s the laser movement speed? The default is 1200 mm/sec, and for the 0.5W laser on the Mooz, that’s not really enough to burn most materials. When I did it on wood, I had to slow it down to about 1/8 speed (150mm/s) to get a good, dark burn. I posted on it in this forum, with images to show different print speeds.

What exactly are you able to do, and what is not working out for you?

Aaron

Hey Aaron,

Thx for your fast reply! :slight_smile:

I used Moozstudio and first with the settings it opens with. Just now I tried with a slower speed, just like you mentioned, but no burning at all yet. I see the laser, so it’s trying, but no result!?
I’ve put in a .PNG file and it looks like that’s working so far, or should it be another file format maybe!?

I understood from a post by Mooz somewhere, that they’re posting 15 tutorials at the end of this month btw!

grt Boris

And another question is, I now know that I have to position the laser in the lower left corner to start, but the Z position is not completely clear to me!? Can you enlighten me maybe? haha

You have to really zoom in the Z position, so you see a very tiny spot of the laser (use the glasses you received with the printer). It should be a tiny, very bright speck.

And for the amount of burn: it worked for me at 1200 mm/s on leather and wood, but only from about 70% grey in the original image.

Yes, I agree with Pieter - you need to move the head waaaay down and zero it so the laser is a tiny, tiny dot - maybe 1/10 of a millimeter. Be sure to wear the goggles while you focus it. Use the instructions in the book to set the zero point, or it won’t do anything.