Transform dobot in resin 3d printer for free!

I have just noticed this project on KS:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/olo3d/olo-the-first-ever-smartphone-3d-printer/description

I think Dobot could do that (even in better with subpixel resolution by moving on X-Y) simply by building an appropriate cardboard enclosure and put inside of it a transparent baque on a smartphone/tablet. I want to try to do that! @Dobot if you finance me a bottle of daylight resin for my tests, I am ok to developp the project and release it as open-source! :smiley: (hardware design + instructions + multi-plateforme app).

PS: [joke] this is not a reason not to send me my 3D pen, I am still waiting it! ::yum:

PPS: I think it could be interesting to create a “developments” section in the forum. I have personally a lot of other projects I plan to test (ex: pick & place + solder SMD for circuit boards … :wink:), and I am pretty sure others have also a lot of imagination!

Where did you get a Dobot that has subpixel resolution?
I would like to see your Dobot doing something at subpixel resolution. I would like to see a Dobot do something reliably at 1 cm resolution.

Good Luck

Yes you are right, I have been a little bit too ambitious about this point, even with 0.2mm precision it is still less accurate than screen pixels of a phone. However, horizontal translations could be used to increase the working space, a phone screen can be too small for some prints.

All resin printers use a projected image of each layer to be made.
High UV DLP projector or a UV beam source steered by mirrors.
No bot could translate as fast as that.
It appears you may be farting into the wind!!!

:confused:

I don’t understand why I would need high velocity. In basic mod, the image layers are displayed by the smartphone and Dobot only slowly bring up the 3d object . For the improvement I suggested in my previous message Dobot also slowy translate horizontally the object while the smartphone translate too his model to expose the whole layer. So every points won’t be cured at the same time, but I would say it should be ok (but need to be tested).

IMHO for free you would only get a headache and a lot of quite expensive resin in your trash… at the very least. I see you had hard time making dobot move at all and here you’re talking about precision that even dobot’s mechanics can’t provide - all the joints are pretty loose.

Have a read about the defect rate for the models printed with printers that cost $2-3k, how the model doesn’t stick to the platform or getting stretched in Z axis and many many other things that go wrong. That is, unfortunately, not the kind of machinery that can reliably and precisely print. Even industrial machines run many many times before they everything is set up right to produce a batch with minimal defect rate.

I hope very much OLO is not just another nice fantasy, but that’s definitely not a job for dobot.

Thank you very much for bringing up these potential difficulties.
My first observation were suggesting that moving Dobot at 1% of its velocity should provide enough precision, but after new test, I have remark litlle trembling even for such a small move, which is potentially bad for print quality. And by the way, joins are really loose, which is totaly inacceptable in my opinion :/. Why do we have this problem, does it comes from bad mecanic part conception, or underdimensionned servo … or maybe only not tight enough screw? (let me dream ^^)

Concerning the testing, I was thinking about printing a lot of really small cynlinder during the same batch with different curing time to determine which one was the best for a layer; In my mind, it doesn’t seem be so hard, but I know I am often too optimist ^^.

I am still motivated to try this project, but I realize that it’s will probably be more complicated thant expected.

Hello,

I thing that what Florent would like to do with a arm bot another company in kickstarter already do and very well but for 3000$ the full kit

So yes it’s possible to build a BOT ARM for 3D printing using SLS or PLD or SLA PLD with resin and place component on PCB but the ARM need to be build in another way maybe… I’m novice in BOT ARM but you see directly the difference of conception between makerarm and dobot…

I think both are wonderfull and perfect but for 3D printing Dobot need some upgrade and i’m sure in a near futur they will do because for me OPEN SOURCE is the best way to have very fast and very strong upgrade but makerarm is CLOSESOURCE and cost a lot of money unfortunatelly.

I wait your opinion and some ideas how to upgrade dobot to make the same like makerarm???

Best Regards,
Greg

Such an upgrade would require changing everything, starting with design. And it won’t cost the same then.

Besides, makearm’s design makes it not that fast in Z axis, which you would expect from a general purpose robotic arm.
This SCARA design would be faster in Z axis http://www.heliumfrog.com/hf06robot/hf06blog.html (look at the post from 05/03/2012). You could add reduction to have some compromise between speed and precision.

It so happens that 3D printing is a wonderful application for the discipline of robotics. It provides designers with the freedom to add new functionality to their creations. That, and end-users can customize a robot for their specific needs.

In this article, you’ll see some of the most impressive and advanced 3D printed robot projects from around the world. Ranging from humanoid robots to four-legged robots to even insectoid automatons, the field of robotics is booming thanks to additive manufacturing.

With robotics and 3D printing combined, people are pushing the boundaries of possibility every day. Humanoid robots are a great example of this. Humanoid robots are designed to represent or mimic humans in some way, and people are working every day in developing new systems to get as close to reality as possible. These robots may be capable of walking, talking, gesturing, and more, and can be useful for many applications like medicine and caretaking. Here we’ve gathered the most advanced, most impressive 3D printed humanoid robots.

French company [Pollen Robotics] debuted its highly interactive, AI-powered robot Reachy in 2019. Reachy is a 3D printed robotic torso that’s adaptable enough to play tic-tac-toe or serve coffee, all while looking pretty cute.

The antennae are animated and its head moves with two “eyes” to help convey emotions. The arms have a wide range of motion, similar in size to an adult human’s, and are able to pick up objects as heavy as 500 grams. You can even use VR to teleoperate Reachy!

Every part of this robot is 3D printed and Pollen Robotics has made [Reachy’s design open-source] so that anyone can contribute to the development as it moves forward. The idea is for Reachy to be used in the customer service industry.

Reachy can be purchased in a few different configurations, starting with the basic model with one arm and no head all the way up to the advanced Reachy with a head and two arms. You can even choose the design of the shirt!

You’ll also find some more modest – yet still impressive – 3D printed robot projects, and many of these can be tried at home. You’ll need the right tools and bill of materials to make them, but the thing they all have in common is 3D printing.

If you see something you’d like to try but don’t have the means to do yourself, consider using a 3D printing service. I have also thought to use the robot on the best hr management software. Through [Craftcloud, our 3D printing service marketplace], you’re guaranteed to benefit from expert-level quality, so small details and tight tolerances shouldn’t be an issue.

[InMoov] is one of the oldest 3D printed robotics projects around. Created in 2012 by Gael Langevin, a French sculptor and designer, InMoov started as a prosthetic hand.

Now, it’s a life-size 3D printed robot. This automaton is a spectacular achievement, not just because of its size but also because of its fluid and graceful articulation, right down to its fingertips.

This is also an open-source project, envisioned as a development platform for students, makers, and academics. In fact, the hand carries the distinction of being the first open-source 3D printed hand prosthetic.

If you want to make InMoov yourself, you’ll need a [desktop 3D printer] with a build volume of at least 12 x 12 x 12 cm. You’ll also need [Arduino Uno and Mega microcontroller boards], three servo motors (HK15298B, Hitec HS805BB, and MG996), and MyRobot Lab and python scripting software. The website has [ample instructions and information], a [blog] and an active maker [community] if you want to attempt the build yourself.

InMoov continues to be a favourite among makers all over the world and each year gains more capabilities, including the recent additions of a vision system and improved mechanics and legs. There’s even a [world map] that can connect you to InMoov builders from all over the globe.

[Jimmy the 21st Century Robot] is a humanoid robot powered by Intel’s Edison chip. The robot’s technical name is Interbotix HR-OS1 – Jimmy to friends – and it’s an open-source robot that can be controlled remotely via Wi-Fi. It was created in 2014 and its development has been continued ever since.

The base of this robot is an endoskeleton, and the outer shell, which is what makes it look friendly, can be customized and printed to your liking. More than just the shell, the functionality of the robot can be customized, and in fact, you’re encouraged to do so, as one of the main factors the developers promote is personalization.

This robot has many available shells and has been used in many education campaigns as well as social work with kids with special needs. One of the available shells, called [Callim], was designed by an 11-year-old boy, and the team at 21st Century Robot made it into a real, 3D-printed exoskeleton.

This is another open-source 3D printed robot, called ASPIR, which stands for “autonomous support and positive inspiration robot”.

ASPIR was first published in 2017 by [John Choi] and evolved from his 2015 “Halley Ambassador Robot”. A year after ASPIR, the second version came out called the ASPIR V2. At 30 pounds and 4 feet tall, this robot is child-sized and requires 22 motors to function.

ASPIR V2 has humanoid automation that’s highly manoeuvrable. It uses six supersize servos per leg, four high-torque standard servos for each arm, five metal-gear micro servos for each hand, and two additional standard servos for the head’s pan and tilt mechanisms.

Each of the 90 parts that make up its body is 3D printed and will take roughly 300 hours of printing time. If you want to try it for yourself, you’ll need the [GitHub files], 5 kg of [PLA], and a 3D printer with a build volume of at least 250 x 250 x 250 mm. You can find the [full tutorial and materials list] on Instructables.

Hope this article will help you properly.

yeah, thankyou so much, There are some useful points in your content for me .