TCP-IP Python API robot feedback is not working properly

I am currently trying to use TCP-IP-4Axis-Python to get information about the current pose of the end effector by querying “tool_vector_actual”. However, I find that the information I get from calling the feedback socket is delayed and is not the current pose. Is this a bug?

I’m using firmware 1.5.7 and the latest api from https://github.com/Dobot-Arm/TCP-IP-4Axis-Python

I have the same problem. I move robot arm and new coordinates are delayed about 3 seconds…

This is probably because python is too slow for the communication rate.
In fact, a really long message is sent form the robot to the pc every 8ms.
My interpretation is: since it use a tcp communication probably a buffer is filled from which the feedback values are taken, one after the other, starting with the oldest. I managed to fix this problem by changing the communication port from 30004 to 30005. I can try to lead you into fix this problem:

1. file: ui.py
    line: 80
    form: feed_port = IntVar(self.root, value=30004)
    to: feed_port = IntVar(self.root, value=30005)

2. file: dobot_api.py
    line: 125
    from: if self.port == 29999 or self.port == 30003 or self.port == 30004:
    to: if self.port == 29999 or self.port == 30003 or self.port == 30004 or self.port == 30005:

Make sure to save and now you can run the main.py without the lag.
Now the feedback is a 200ms rate (much slower, but works properly)
I can suggest changing pc if you want to use the 8ms port, or change programming language (to C, for example)

Make sure to like the comment and visit www.roboware.it :wink:

Ok, need a little assistance! Have never done anything with TCP/IP, so trying use the example TCP-IP-4Axis-Python-main. I can get the gui open with the correct IP address, not 192.168.1.6, and I get an error "Connection error:(Unable to set socket connection use port 29999 !’, <class OSError’>). I changed both lines as shown above, but error still exists. Any suggestions to fix and connect to the MG400? Thanks.

Hi apinkos
glad to see u here
Immediately after connecting the feedback ports at the 30004, 30005 etc. you need to open a thread to refresh the data at a frequency equal to or slightly greater than the feedback frequency, otherwise you will get a blockage reading the previous data.
best wishes

Thanks for the reply. However, I do not know how to implement your suggestion as I have not written any code for TCP/IP connections. Can you update your code in Git and release it? How do you get the TCP-IP-4Axis-Python-main code to work? is there something else I need to do? I’ve gone to Settings > Remote Control and changed the mode to TCP/IP Secondary development and even left it in Online mode, but keep getting the “Unable to set socket connection use port 29999…”. Thanks.

dear apinkos32
You can find information on this in the link below.

Best wishes

Thanks for your response! It corrected itself when I updated the MG400 firmware to 1.5.7.0.

Hi! I am encountering the same problem with the feedback ports. The above 30004_demo.zip doesn’t work for me. It says connection failed in Chinese.

Where can I download MG400 firmware 1.5.7. It doesn’t show up in my Dobot Studio Update section nor on the official download pages. Can you give me the link?

Thank you

Search for it in this forum. There is a thread with the link. 1.5.8 is the latest