Reviving a Non-Functioning Mooz3

I have a Mooz3 that has never been able to print anything, ever. In this discussion, I want to have Dobot tech support walk me through troubleshooting. They initially wanted me to email support. I thought having the discussion here may help others with similar issues and allow others to engage in the conversation as well.

The discussion began here, where I hijacked another thread. Now I want to continue it here. Here is a recap of the conversation. I sent this:

I did manage to get the unit to move by re-applying the firmware with a different SD card. I still could not get the touch screen to work even though I was able to get that firmware updated as well. It would also not connect with Octoprint. I could get the unit to move but not print. It just burned a couple of holes in the print bed and made plastic spaghetti.

There is a major flaw in this unit and it could just be a weak heating element but the nozzle will never reach the correct temp to print with the fan on. When I disconnected the fan, it was able to reach the correct printing temp but now I have a high probability of melting the filament all the way up to the bowden tube.

If you are willing to assist, I might re-assemble the parts that are now in a box. Before I start, I have a few questions.

1. Have you seen the nozzle heating problem before and found a solution?
  2. Have you seen the touch screen problem before and found a solution?
  3. Will you share the firmware source?
  4. Are there plans to update to Marlin 2.0.x?

I received the following response:

I’m very sorry about that because everyone always discusses technology and shares experience in the forum, Dobot does not carry out after-sales service of products in the forum, so your question has not been quickly answered by DOBOT official. If the product is damaged or cannot be used at all, this is already part of the after-sales content, so it is very necessary to contact support@dobot.cc.
Comprehensive analysis of the problems you encounter. I think your touch screen is damaged (this is currently a malfunction on the hardware), please contact support@dobot.cc to complete after-sales content. In addition, while the nozzle is heating, the fan has been running. I used my mooz3 to test that it can reach the printing temperature. This may be a firmware error. What’s your MOOZ3 firmware version, please show me a picture like this.

If they insist on email for support, I will post the conversation here for the reasons I mentioned above.

Dobot Mooz 3 color 3d printer

I was able to update to the latest Mooz3 (non-wifi) via SD card. The first couple of time the update seemed to work but there were some SD card issues and the update was corrupt and it was unable to move, heat etc. I was also able to update the display firmware. In the last post, I asked the following:

From your response, I believe the nozzle heat problem is related to the element. This could be an easy fix, what are the specs for the element? I will just grab one on amazon or aliexpress.

The touchscreen worked prior to the updates so I believe it is a software issue. I will post an image of the lable on the unit so you can verify the correct firmware for the unit.

Can you please answer questions #3 and #4. This is something I need to know to decide if I should re-assemble the unit and keep it as a selection of parts.

I would also like to know if the unit will work with OctoPrint as that would be my preference to manage the unit.

Here is the label on my unit.