No proper Calibration of the Dobot

How to calibrate the Dobot? Anyone any luck? The software is at the moment super limited and makes the Dobot useless.

@f85nl Hi could you tell me your email? our CEO&Product manager will contact you.

THS

Hi Thanks. I think it is more helpful if you help in this forum. The Forum is of course most helpful if all the answers are gathered here. Thanks!

@KKO: Personally I’d like to see it here too. If you can for instance go through the issue-solving here we can all learn from it. And we may be able to resolve the situation ourselves next time.

@f85nl What kind of calibration are you looking for? If you want to make dobot figure out it’s initial configuration (the arms’ angles) then, according to https://github.com/DobotTeam/Dobot/blob/master/protocol/Dobot_protocol_en_1.0_beta.pdf, it does it automatically when powered on. I have confirmed by reading the data dobot posts on the serial port (usb or bluetooth) that it indeed works correctly (at least on my dobot). The angles are read correctly from the accelerometers installed on the two arms.
But that’s about it. When you try to do something useful…the firmware is quite raw and it drops commands randomly, fifo doesn’t work, etc etc. But that’s another story, not on the calibration topic. I said this just to let you know that the problem may be not because of improper calibration.

####Couple more notes:

1. As stated above, the accelerometer reading happens when dobot is powered on. The arduino board (the fake arduino mega) can be powered from usb, so if you lost calibration then make sure you disconnect both the power (using the switch) and usb cable from your computer. Otherwise it won’t do the power cycle and won’t re-read the accelerometers. Alternatively, one of the buttons on the black box may do hardware reset, but I haven’t tried to use it for re-calibration.
  2. If any of the arms hit an obstacle then your calibration is gone as most probably couple of steps have been skipped (the steppers are quite weak) and there is no way the firmware can figure out the skipped steps.

To make calibration not an issue (and more like industrial thing, as it was advertised) it absolutely needs feedback (at the very least) in the form of a set of encoders (quadrature, hall, etc) on the motors. A “poor guy” solution could be a couple of variable resistors, but that would rather give you “is my dobot looking at absolutely different direction than the firmware thinks it is” (in other words - pretty inaccurate (for a 0.2mm precision thing).

Let us know if reset button works to reset calibration.

Hi, please view this small tutorial about the sensor calibration .

The problem of the paper calibrations sometimes not works properly for which the quality of the printer hesitated due to that reasons for which you will face some kind of the serious problem regarding that then you can contact the Hp Tech Support.