Mooz M2:Laser power insufficient for 1200mm/min operation

Replacement laser head still “Class 3b” therapeutic laser from its label inside, and still will not etch light coloured wood at 1200mm/min (default) speed. I can get it to etch t 200mm/min dark, or 3-400 mm/min light, but it is a far cry from what was demonstrated during your KS livestream. Even your latest manual says 1.5W is available (which this most definitely is not).

We were promised a free upgrade from the 250mW the tech page listed, and every reviewer received 1.6W modules (although they were listed as 250mW) What is the real wattage of the shipped units? My 300mW green laser (purchased elsewhere) does a better job than your blue one (and blue is supposed to be better at etching & cutting).

I believe Una must have clairified the 0.5w/1.6W issue in FB month ago. Like what we mention in your email “In the user manual, we add 1.6W as an option to meet possible plans of upgrading the laser power in the fure, but right now all we have is 0.5W.”

So these are 500mW (Class 4) lasers according to you, but mislabelled by the manufacturer (again)?

I don’t mean to sound rude, but I did not believe that the diodes were mislabeled the first time, operating a laser device with improper labelling is a safety hazard over here (N.America) & if a health & safety inspector decides to check one of these in a workplace… The external stickers do not meet the safety requirements (don’t look directly at the beam, really?) vs. Must state the wattage, indicate aperture location and direction of beam. (The blue “Danger” label inside the case meets the requirements, if it was visible from outside the enclosure… except is says Class 3b (5mW<=499mW)) Others on FB want to know if we can install our own laser modules, and if so what are the specifications to match? Maximum current?

I have not seen any 500mW lasers etching at 1200mm/min, I’m currently reduced to 300mm/min and it doesn’t shade properly at all. Una’s explanation hinged on a 500mW laser being capable of doing the job, that has not been my experience.

Or are these actually class3 lasers being overdriven to 500mW (which will burn the diode out faster than it should)? (Still not workable over here from a health & safety standpoint) That would explain the labelling… Though why you charged $90 for a $24 (or less) diode (especially when I can get a 2.5W for $45 with driver boards included, no bulk orders required, shipping included!)

My Email was sent Jan 4th, and while eventually i was replied to over a week later, no answers were given to the questions asked. 300mm/min is not acceptable. Every video you have on your site shows 1200mm/min, just like all the reviewers received 1.6W lasers without being told they were anything but 0.250W so their machines etched at 1200mm/min without a problem (and you do not have even a disclaimer on their videos). Even the Livestream had a 1.6W laser operating at 1200mm/min and we were told the livestream would feature “shipping units” so we could see what we were really getting.

Probably true, the 1.6w unit also mislabelled.

The laser unit is designed with build-in driver board, we don’t suggest our customer replace the diode. But if you must, the volatage is 12V, and 3.5W power max.

Excellent, Thanks.

Probably true that the laser diode is overdriven? Or that everything is mislabeled?
Can you tell me the part # of the diode? Is it the MTO M-33A405 as one user suggested? (If so why not run it at 1W as it is designed for?) (Mine does not say MTO or anything I can track unfortunately)

Or do you have a solution that would make the parts supplied by Mooz work? In the month+ of working with the beta laser (also class 3b) I can only get prints at very slow speed, and they lack shading. It arrived not fastened down in the module so I thought it was damaged in shipping, but apparently not.

This could work. But there are a few issues should be noted:

1. Mouting screws holes may not fit, it seems like the laser unit you posted isn’t designed with screws holes on the bottom.
    Vew the drawing below for reference:

2. You need an 2.54 4pin(male)-to-2pin(male) cable to connect your laser unit and the pcb board inside the laser head we offered.
    Here is the wire sequence of the laser unit we offered:

Thanks for the information.

3.5 W @ 12 V is 290 mA?

That one you listed on eBay is 1-2 amps at 12v, or 12w - 24w.

It means you can only power a 500mw laser with the supplied board.

1-2 amps is the imcoming current, while 3.5 W represents output luminous power, there is power loss during energy transformation, and that’s why cooling fan is needed.

Sunger, you said the driving board in the Dobot supplied laser is 3.5w output at 12v.

3.5w at 12v is 0.29 amps. In other words, one would need a diode that can accept 12v with a current of 0.29amps or 3.5w

The laser Ron is thinking of using to replace is 12v at 1-2 amps (12-24w), which is 3-7 times above the capabilities of the board you stated?.

As you say, some of that energy is lost as heat and active cooling, hence why your 3.5w diode outputs 500mw or 1/7th of the power consumed as light.

The one Ron linked is taking 12-24W and converting it to 3.5-4w of laser light, 1/4th-1/6th of the power consumed.

The issue here is, you (presumably) have stated 3.5w as the output power of the driving board, not the strength of light the laser can output. Ron has gone and grabbed a 3.5w laser in terms light output, which needs a 12w driving board.

1 Wavelength: 445nm~450nm
2 Output Power: 3500mW-4000mW
> 3 Working Voltage: 12V
> 4 Power supply: 1-2A

I meant the driving board can support a 3.5W laser unit.

Sunger, to avoid any ambiguity in the phrasing:

How many Amps will the driving board output at 12v? This is the safest way to put it.

It is 3A…

For anyone interested, the most effective/accurate settings (from my testing) for Mooz Studio are 150mm/min and 50-100% power (rather than 0-99% default) with the shipping Mooz laser. Also, if your laser shield is blue, it won’t protect you from reflected blue laser light, use glasses.

Hot_Rod: Did you try to change the diode? Would be interested to know if you managed to get it work (and how)…

I know is not about the same subject, but is the same theme.

I was looking the manual and I saw in spec that the laser power is 0.5W. But have a optional 1.6W, I can set it in configuration or have to change the laser? and I bought the Mooz Full it is come together? How is it work? Thanks guys!

Obs: I’m waiting my mooz be delivery.

All shipped laser units are 0.5W for now, slow the engraving speed and you can get results as good as the 1.6w ones.

Going to be a month or two for part to come in with the holiday, and around $100 usd. You can get results with the supplied laser at 1/10th to 1/8th speed (120-150 mm/min instead of the 1200mm/min seen in videos) but the horizontal banding is terrible.