Is the Dobot Magician gripper opening width adjustable?

Hi, I recently got a new Dobot Magician and was intending to use the gripper for a certain application. While the gripper works fine in gripping the intended object, the opened width is currently a little too wide for my tolerances. I was wondering, is there a way to narrow the gap between the gripper ends when it is opened? Whether mechanically or e.g. by adjusting the pump control if possible.

Hello Nabilun,

no, you can’t adjust the width, not that easy at least. This is a normal pneumatic cylinder. It is either open or not.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll have to look into other means of doing it.

• CAUTION * This might not be covered by warranty. Do at your own risk.*

It looks like if you undo the two black hex bolts (metric bit size 4), the black plate can be moved away from the pneumatic cylinder, shortening the gripper open size (the distance between the black plate and the end of the cylinder rod fully extended determines the open size). Some washers and / or hollow metal tubing as spacers, and maybe some longer bolts, should work for what you need to do.

I don’t think the cylinder and air pump is “industrial factory” levels of strong, but you should probably use a very sturdy material as spacers, like metal. Don’t use plastic spacers.

Thank you very much Romshark. I have tested this and it is adequate for my purposes (since the load to be gripped is very light). I will implement this if unable to get a pneumatic cylinder with a shorter stroke.